Preparation of a Plan for the Management, Development and Operation of Akamas National Forest Park
Τhe Project was about the Elaboration of a Plan for the Development of Akamas National Forest Park (NFP) and the Submission of Proposals on the management / administration of the Park (in two phases), to ensure not only the function of the area as a National Park properly managed for the benefit of all Cypriots and particularly Local Communities, but also the management and protection of the Park similarly to a Natura 2000 site.
The Project’s specific objectives were:
1) Preparation of a Plan for the Park and elaboration of proposals for the Development of the Park which included mainly:
- Control and regulation of the visitors’ entrance and movement in the National Forest Park
- Management of the existing road network
- Evaluation of the existing recreational facilities and submission of proposals for the development of additional necessary facilities and infrastructure, compatible with the area’s physiognomy and management goals
- Management of the park’s uses and activities, and the conflict between them.
2) Elaboration of proposals for the Management and Administration of the National Forest Park, that included mainly the following:
- Establishment of appropriate management / administration mechanisms so that the Park’s management was fully compatible with that of the Natura 2000 site
- Administration, Regulations, Law Enforcement and Guarding of the Park
- Strengthening of the Park’s attractiveness for the enhancement of the visitors’ levels of satisfaction
- Ways and means for the promotion of the Park and for the achievement of appropriate levels of autonomy.
Republic of Cyprus
Start - End Year
2017 - 2018